The juniper reaches a height ranging from 1 to 5 meters, although it may take a column of up to 10 meters
It has narrow leaves, long and sharp blue color. The leaves are arranged in opposite or wheel around the branches.
Its berries are soft in the middle and are the main medicinal part of juniper leaves or needles but also have medicinal properties but in scale and can be best used as a diuretic and antirheumatic.
Among the active ingredients of the juniper are: essential oil, resin, pinene, terpenes, acetic acid and malic juniperina and sugars.
- Juniper berries are used to relieve gout and rheumatism. It is also diuretic and therefore recommended for use in cases of cystitis. Another virtue in this regard is that it increases the elimination of toxic and uric acid through urine.
- They are also soothing, expectorant, and antiseptic sudorific respiratory and gastric juices and stimulate the endocrine glands
- He also attributed emmenagogue properties and antihysteric. It may be helpful to diabetics because it has properties as hypo glycemic.
- Highly antiseptic has been used to disinfect wounds and sores, and even has been used in the past to clean up the environment. To this end, the berries were burned as if they were incense.
Juniper Home Remedies
- Home remedy # 1: To stimulate gastric juices, make a tea with 1 teaspoon of crushed berries per cup of water and take 3 cups daily.
- Home remedy # 2: For cleaning wounds and sores, is preparing a decoction of juniper at 50 grams per liter of water. Let it boil for 10 minutes and is applied over the affected area.
- Home remedy # 3: In cases of diabetes, eat four to five day raw berries to boost organ function, and as hypo glycemic.
- Home remedy # 4: As a diuretic, a wine can be prepared by maceration DE50 grams of crushed dried berries in 1 liter of white wine for 15 days. Take a small glass before meals.
- Home remedy # 5: For rheumatism, bathrooms can be made of juniper. This should be for one hour a good handful of crushed berries in1 liter of boiling water. Then, filtered and added to the bath. You can also add to the bathroom needles and bark of the tree.
Another option to relieve rheumatism is to produce a dye with 30 grams of crushed berries per 80 grams of alcohol. Softened for 9 days and is used in frictions dilute
- Juniper should not be consumed when there is acute inflammation of the kidneys (nephritis). because its use would aggravate the situation.
- Pregnant women should not use juniper or their preparations and in any case, they may be treated even with successful plant.