Many people do not want to consume commercial antidepressants because they fear their side effects.
However, there are a number of medicinal plants, herbal remedies and even foods, that can help overcome this disorder in a healthy and natural.
Then presents a number of medicinal plants that can be considered truly natural antidepressants and whose effectiveness has been proven in several investigations.
St. John’s wort (better known as St. John’s wort): This plant has been traditionally used as an anti-inflammatory in cases of bruises and muscle spasms and cramps, but now it has been determined that also helps people suffering from mild depression and until it long-term positive for anxiety. The wort has a beneficial effect similar to the solar light therapy to treat seasonal affective disorder. It is therefore advisable to start taking it in late summer.
Ginkgo biloba: A study in 1993 with a group of patients between 71 and 78 years who did not respond well to antidepressant drugs, he discovered a remarkable improvement in providing a dose of 80 milligrams of ginkgo biloba extract three times a day.
This research highlighted the importance of ginkgo biloba to help not only to combat depression mainly resulting from brain changes due to aging but also to improve the effectiveness of antidepressant medication. Not surprisingly, the extract of this tree increases serotonin levels by 33% according to studies in rats.
Borage: The juice of fresh leaves of this plant is useful to combat nervous breakdown. You have to take 10 ml of juice three times daily.
Basil: Its essential oil is used in bathrooms (5 to 10 drops) for depression, nervous exhaustion, fatigue, weariness and melancholy. In aromatherapy it is used in conjunction with other essential oils such as hyssop and bergamot, for stimulating massage and antidepressants. You can eat fresh leaves in salad.
Damiana: A plant antidepressant and is also a good tonic for the nervous and male hormonal system. Goes well with oats for depression. It recommends the daily consumption of 20 grams of herb tea.
As for food antidepressants, we mention the following:
- Kiwi and citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, prevent feelings of fatigue and feeling of sadness.
- Milk, yogurt, cheese, cuttlefish and squid. By containing calcium, are considered an essential element for the balance of mind. Its lack causes feelings of fatigue and excitability. Minimum daily dose: 900 milligrams (one glass of milk contains 200 ml).
- Green vegetables, legumes (lentils, peas, beans) and nuts. These foods contain iron which is essential to eliminate the symptoms of depression, as its lack is reflected in a lack of courage. Daily Dose: 10 ml. for men and for women, 18 ml.
- Fish, bananas, dates, almonds, peanuts, sesame and pumpkin seeds: They contain tryptophan and phenylalanine amino acids which are essential for the brain to produce serotonin and dopamine transmitters that stimulate physical and mental activity and act as natural antidepressants.
- Chocolate, oats, wheat germ, whole grains, seafood, dried figs and nuts These foods contain magnesium that is an essential element for depression. If taken in supplements should not be used for more than 3 weeks.
Recommendations to combat depression naturally
In addition to medicinal plants and foods that have been mentioned, there are some recommendations that can be considered small strategic weapons that help fight against low mood and grief.
- Playing a sport or physical exercise at our age and constitution.
- Make short trips often, preferably to places where there is abundance of water, especially if you work in an environment with electromagnetic overload.
- Performing a colon hydrotherapy to cleanse the body of toxins and promote absorption of nutrients, organic toxicity as a source of depression.
- Visit often to the hairdresser and dentist.
- Join a course of self-hypnosis or neuro linguistic programming.
- Bathe the body temperature drops of essential oils. Basil, jasmine, juniper, tangerine, pine and rosemary are the most recommended to lift the spirits (choice of aromatherapy)
- Learn about flower therapy or Bach flowers, and flower essences that are well managed highly effective for treating low moods and even major depression. Especially useful are the following: sweet chestnut, gorse, gentian, wild rose, mustard and rescue remedy Bach system.